Friday, January 22, 2016

I live where and can do what?

I grew up in Pleasant Hope, Missouri, a little town with around 500 people just 15 miles north of Springfield. To put that into retrospect, Springfield is the third largest city in the state with a little over 150,000 people.  Growing up your options were mostly to go to Branson, St. Louis or Kansas City if you wanted to do anything more then just going to our small zoo or window shopping at the mall, or so I thought.

After moving around most of my 20's, I ended up back in Springfield with my parents. After living in places like Orlando, where I could go to Disney, Universal Studios and Sea World in the same day if I wanted, to Winston Salem and Asheville, NC, where I could go to historical Old Salem or hiking in the mountains, there wasn't much in Springfield. Everything seemed dull until I really started looking.

I started going to the Nature Center to walk and realized that there was over 5 miles of trails. There wasn't a single visit that I didn't see deer or other wild life and when I got my new camera, everything opened up even more. It became one of my favorite places to walk and just enjoy a beautiful day. But Springfield was dull remember. Boy was I wrong. After I started experiencing the Nature Center I looked into other attractions.. Here is my journey in exploring my "home town"


Missouri Conservation Nature Center

Located, off of James River Express Way and Glenstone, The nature center offers  79 acres of forest, glade, woodland, prairie plantings, creeks, and frontage on Lake Springfield, and experience the visitor center's multi-sensory, self-guided exhibit area. The hiking here is year round. Admission is free.




 Wilson's Creek Battlefield - The site of the second major battle of the Civil War and  first major Civil War battle fought west of the Mississippi River, and the site of the death of Nathaniel Lyon, the first Union general killed in action. The costly Southern victory on August 10, 1861, focused national attention on the war in Missouri.  Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield commemorates and interprets the battle within the context of the war in the Trans-Mississippi West.  This self guided tour is wonderful. You can stop at different places around the battlefield including the house where Nathaniel Lyon passed in, Bloody Hill and more. There is an admission of $7.00 per adult to a maximum of $15.00 per vehicle or a year pass for $30.00 that covers anyone in your vehicle.


Bass Pro Shops - This is the original store and a must for anyone visiting or just a nice place to stop in and look around especially in the winter. There are a number of aquariums and even live alligators.  Sometime this summer they are suppose to be opening a beautiful new museum.  Because of where I work, I have gotten a sneak peek of the museum and even though it isn't 100% finished, it was amazing and I can't wait to go to visit again once it is open!



 Dikerson Park Zoo - Growing up, this was where my grandma would take us  a couple times a year. I thought it was the world's best zoo until I was able to experience more.  This isn't a bad zoo. I really enjoy feeding the giraffes and just walking around looking at the animals but it has gone downhill since the last time I had been ( In 2010 or so) . I will go again when I need a zoo fix but at $12.00 per adult I won't be going every month.


 Fantastic Cavers - Growing up this was a major field trip stop for our school. I remember this cave with fond memories and was excited to visit again. Located just north of Springfield on Highway 13 ( AKA Kansas Expressway), it is an easy drive from town to this little treasure. At 24.00 per adult and  16.00 per child 6 to 12, it can get a little expensive but for $5.00 more then your admission, you can get a season pass to enjoy this cave whenever you would like. A must for locals or those that travel to Springfield multiple times a year!




 Nathanial Greene Park - I can honestly say I don't remember this park and was pleasantly surprised by this beautiful park. My first visit was in April when the flowers where starting to bloom. There is no admission fee for this part of the park but there is for another area we will discuses in a moment.  I have to say beside my exploration of the Nature Center, this was my 2nd favorite place to explore and learn about in Springfield. There are so many trails, a beautiful pond and even a historical area with an original home, grave sites and school. But my favorite thing about the park is that there are different gardens that bloom at different times of the year so there is always something beautiful to take in while you are here!






 Springfield Japanese Gardens - Located at the Nathanial Greene Park, there is an additional fee for this garden, but it is worth every penny. I was able to explore a quiet Sunday morning in the fall. It was amazing. I think I might have been the only person there and if not, I never noticed anyone. I was able to sit and relax. Really take in the beauty of the gardens. Also one of my favorite Springfield events happen here every fall, The Japanese Festival. Please check the park website for more information on 2016 dates.


I know that there is more to explore but I hope that you too will explore your city and learn that even when you  grow up your entire life somewhere, there is always something to learn and explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment